Learn More About Carole
I am the owner of Health Matters, Inc., an independent medical research and writing business located in North Carolina. Trained as an epidemiologist at the University of Colorado, I am passionate about medical research and writing. My 25-year career spans both the public and private health sectors, with my first position as director of Cancer Prevention and Control for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). During my tenure at CDPHE, I was Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator for more than 10 grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements with a cumulative total award exceeding $100 million.
I was also privileged to serve as an invited reviewer for several National Institutes of Health grant review panels and honored to chair or participate on a number of national and international advisory boards and steering committees on cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, HIV/AIDS, and women’s health. I was a Senior Program Officer for the National Academies of Sciences, Washington, DC, and a Senior Scientist with the Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD. In these positions, I provided training and technical assistance to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and consulted with numerous state agencies to support implementation of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. I have written and presented on a wide variety of health topics to more than 100 professional audiences and organizations.
In 2006, I established Health Matters, Inc. to provide medical research, medical writing, and strategic consulting to the healthcare industry. My current research and writing activities include:
- Manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals
- Competitive strategic analysis, medical intelligence, and publication planning
- Epidemiologic research and biostatistical consulting
- Health economics and outcomes research
- Training materials for medical science liaisons and sales representatives
- Abstracts, posters, and slide sets
- Continuing medical education materials
- Conference and advisory board summaries
- Grant proposals for government and non-government organizations
- Consumer health education materials and programs
- Key opinion leader strategy, recruitment, and retention
I maintain regular contact with thought leaders in diverse therapeutic areas, which ensures the quality, timeliness, and accuracy of information that I include in all medical publications. I apply my professional experiences and knowledge to research and write about diverse health issues, while using my expertise in research design, statistical analysis, and data interpretation to analyze and disseminate research findings. I regularly provide epidemiology and health economics and outcomes research services to pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, medical education organizations, and medical communications agencies.
My professional affiliations include:
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Writers Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- European Medical Writers Association
- European Society for Medical Oncology
- International Society for Medical Publication Professionals
- International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
On a personal note, I live with my husband, Don, on a 25-acre farm in rural North Carolina. Our seven Labrador retrievers, Theo, Abby, Rosa, Jackson, Moses, Selah, and Abel are an endless source of joy, entertainment, fun, and adventure.
Carole Alison Chrvala, PhD
President and owner of Health Matters, Inc.